Friday, December 2, 2011

In the Beginning - Dec. 1st


This sign marks the street in Chengdu where Qiuchan's journey into our family began.  On November 20, 2010, a gentleman walking down this street found an abandoned baby girl.  We will never know exactly where on the street she was found, it must have been pretty close to this sign, as the street only runs for about one block.

Why was she abandoned?  We'll never know for sure, but is probably because her family knew that she was very sick and they did not think that they could take care of her.  Qiuchan was born with a heart condition called a ventrical septal defect, or VSD.  In her case, it was an operable condition that has since been repaired.  Her family most likely did not know this or could not afford the surgery.  Regardless, this is where she was left.  I choose to believe that they left her because they loved her and hoped that she could get the help she needed as a ward of the state.

The street is in a nice business district with a local law enforcement office located on it.  Child abandonment is a crime in China, so her parents were taking a chance leaving her there.  I think they wanted her found and cared for. She was taken to a local hospital for about three days before being accepted into the Children's Welfare Institute of Cengdu, where I believe they took good care of her.  They estimate that Qiuchan was about three months old when she was abandoned.  We will never know what transpired during the first few months of her life.

I have found myself thinking of Qiuchan's birth family during this trip.  I pray for them and hope that they are at peace with their decision.  I would like to thank them for placing her in a position to receive the care she needed and to join our family.  I wish that they could somehow know that she is well and very loved.

1 comment:

  1. I can't imagine the desperation that family must have felt. I pray they have peace. I am so thankful that Qiuchan has found a new family with you! God Bless!

    ReplyDelete